If your business is launching, has an event coming up or a sale happening, a press release is an ideal way to create excitement about your brand and spread the word quickly and easily.
Successful businesses know how to use press releases to their advantage, and produce them regularly in order to promote their business.
If you’ve never written or distributed a press release before, follow some of the advice below, in order to get started on your very first press release.
How to write a press release
- Start a press release with an attention-grabbing headline in bold font. The headline should be brief, clear and to the point: an ultra-compact version of the press release’s key point.
- Begin the body copy with the date and city that the release is from. Your lead sentence should be a concise summary of the subject of the release. The rest of the body tells all the important details of your story: who, what, when where why and how. Put the most important information first, followed by more general information.
- The press release body copy should be compact. Avoid using very long sentences and paragraphs. Avoid repetition and overuse of fancy language and jargon. Strive for simplicity, and no wasted words, journalists reading the press release are busy. They usually won’t have time to do extensive research into your company’s big announcement. Much of what you write for your press release will be what the journalists use in their writeup of your big event so make sure it is to the point.
- Don’t forget to include your contact information at the end. If you are comfortable with the idea of letting your key people be contacted directly by media, you can provide their contact details on the press release page itself. If not, you must provide the details of your media/PR department in the “Contact” section. If you do not have a dedicated team for this function, you must appoint somebody who will act as a link between the media and your business.
How to Distribute a Press Release
- Distribution is the final important element of a successful press release. In order to maximize the impact of your release, you need to know who you are trying to reach. When you distribute a release, it’s important to keep your audience in mind and target those demographics, and outlets. To reach a wide variety of national publications, it is advisable to use a press release distribution service. This allows you to narrow down the focus of where your release is sent to, including
area, types of media outlets, and target industries. A little time spent focusing on your audience can greatly increase the impact of your release.
Most distribution services require a paid subscription, which may be an investment worth making if you regularly send a lot of press releases for your business.
Hire a PR Expert for optimal results
An alternative to writing and distributing your press release yourself, is to hire a professional to write your release, they will have access to the best press distribution services, and will ensure your release is received by the right audiences and target publications.
To get a press release expertly written and distributed for your business contact Honeypot Websites. Their PR specialists have over 15 years of background in the media and press release creation and can ensure the best results for your business.